Chemical Safety Tips
- Posted on Oct 20, 2015
Chemical safety is important to your health
Chemical safety has to do with both handling the chemicals as well as storing them. Here are some tips to ensure you stay safe will working with the chemicals that are needed in a pool or spa.
- Never mix chemicals together. The result could be fire, explosion, or release of dangerous gas.
Most spa chemicals are harmful if swallowed and many can injure skin and eyes.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Always store chemicals in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place.
- Chemicals must be kept in their original containers.
- They must never be stored next to a heat source or open flame.
- Always add the chemical to the water, never the water to the chemical.
- Always follow label instructions for any chemical spills.
- Know the first aid instructions for all the chemicals you use. Keep emergency medical and poison control numbers handy. In case of emergency, call the poison control center nearest you or call 1-800-654-6911.
- Don’t smoke and handle chemicals. Some of the fumes are explosive.
- Keep concentrated chemicals away from lawn and plantings.
- Always make sure containers are tightly re-sealed immediately after use.
- Always wear the proper protective equipment (rubber gloves, safety goggles, etc.) when handling chemicals.
- Fill spa with water and add 2 tablespoons (4 capfuls) of Spa Essentials Stain and Scale Control per 300 gallons during filling. This establishes initial protection against staining and scaling.
- Test spa water and balance as needed. Maintain proper water balance factors to help protect spa equipment and ensure comfortable water.
If you keep all of these tips in mind then chemical safety will keep you in your hot tub or pool with no worries.